Chernobyl: 25 years after

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chernobyl: 25 years after

CHERNOBYL, Ukraine — Ukraine marked the 25th anniversary on Tuesday of the world's worst nuclear accident at its Chernobyl power plant as Japan pressed on with efforts to control the crisis at its Fukushima plant.

On April 26 1986, the No. 4 reactor at the Chernobyl plant, then in the Soviet Union, exploded and caught fire after a safety test experiment went badly wrong.

Story: Chernobyl widows mourn as bell tolls 25 times:
The blast sent radiation billowing across Europe. A total of 31 people died immediately but many more died of radiation-related sicknesses such as cancer, many of them in what is today Belarus. Tens of thousands were evacuated, never to return, from Prypyat, the town closest to the site which then had a population of 50,000. Last week the world community, spurred by the nuclear crisis at Japan's Fukushima plant, pledged $780 million to help build a new containment shell over the stricken reactor at the Chernobyl site to replace a makeshift one that has begun to leak radiation.
Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich used the 25th anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster to renew calls for money to build the new shelter over the reactor, saying no nation can battle such a tragedy alone. Ukraine still needs to raise some $300 million for the project after an international donors conference held here earlier this month.

The disaster has remained the benchmark for nuclear accidents. Though Chernobyl town itself was relatively untouched by the accident, Prypyat is now a ghost town at the center of a largely uninhabited exclusion zone with a radius of 19 miles.

Photographers recall Chernobyl's first days:

In this 1986 photo shows the sarcophagus under construction over the 4th destroyed reactor at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. On May 12, 1986, more than two weeks after the explosion, the leading Soviet daily newspaper Pravda published its first photograph from the site for the first time, shot three days earlier from a helicopter by Repik. "If I had been ordered now to get aboard and go, I would not have gone — you might have easily died there for nothing," said the 65-year-old Repik.

In this 1986 photo, a Chernobyl nuclear power plant worker holding a dosimeter to measure radiation level is seen against the background of a sarcophagus under construction over the 4th destroyed reactor on this file photo taken in 1986.

by NBC Materials

Here some photos made by David Schindler nowedays: http://www.topdesignmag.com/25-years-after-chernobyl-david-schindler-photography/
rogue
~Directory~
~Directory~

Skill in JK2 :
75 / 10075 / 100

Messages 411

Registration date : 2010-01-11 Location : Poland

Back to top Go down