Lensing Galaxy Cluster Abell 383:

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lensing Galaxy Cluster Abell 383:

Astronomers have uncovered one of the youngest galaxies in the distant universe, with stars that formed 13.5 billion years ago, a mere 200 million years after the Big Bang. The finding addresses questions about when the first galaxies arose, and how the early universe evolved.

NASA's Hubble Space Telescope was the first to spot the newfound galaxy. Detailed observations from the W.M. Keck Observatory on Mauna Kea in Hawaii revealed the observed light dates to when the universe was only 950 million years old; the universe formed about 13.7 billion years ago.

Infrared data from both Hubble and NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope revealed the galaxy's stars are quite mature, having formed when the universe was just a toddler at 200 million years old.

The galaxy's image is being magnified by the gravity of a massive cluster of galaxies (Abell 383) parked in front of it, making it appear 11 times brighter. This phenomenon is called gravitational lensing.

Hubble imaged the lensing galaxy Abell 383 with the Wide Field Camera 3 and the Advanced Camera for Surveys in November 2010 through March 2011.

Spoiler:

HubbleSite
rogue
~Directory~
~Directory~

Skill in JK2 :
75 / 10075 / 100

Messages 411

Registration date : 2010-01-11 Location : Poland

Back to top Go down

- Similar topics
Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Lensing Galaxy Cluster Abell 383: :: Comments

Post on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:43 am by *MaximuS*

ITS AMAZING WHEN THE MAN LOOK UP TO THE STARS, AND GET A LOT OF IDEAS AND QUESTIONS ABOUT THE UNIVERSE. ITS AWESOME!

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:11 am by Abrum

Cheers for blogs! Good one Kyle. We all approve.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:14 am by Dark Kyle

Wow Nice . Good Job Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:27 pm by LiQuidos.

Nice one ,when i am old im going to other galaxies and see the other human planets becouse our planet sucks like hell ,all this bullshit ,everything sucks nowadays ,music ,movies,games and the laws ,i will probably live with some cool aliens and will show then my collection of old movies and music and stuff ...

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:54 pm by rogue

@LiQuidos. wrote:Nice one ,when i am old im going to other galaxies and see the other human planets becouse our planet sucks like hell ,all this bullshit ,everything sucks nowadays ,music ,movies,games and the laws ,i will probably live with some cool aliens and will show then my collection of old movies and music and stuff ...
Hehe, I understand. Im also very nostalgic about 20th century. Europe is pretty formularic, but no need to go other galaxies, there are good enough places on Earth also. More importantly not were you are, but with who you are.)

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:15 am by Torres

WoW nicce job Kyle, good to have a scientist on astronomy on ATS, nicce facts Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum